Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Time Warp


I just read this article on the BBC about how this architect in the German city of Leipzig discovered an untouched/abandoned apartment recently. The architect described it as entering a "veritable East German time warp" as the apt belonged to a 24 year old man, apparently in some sort of trouble with authorities. (See this link, hopefully it will still work: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7857256.stm) I wonder if he's still alive and just never returned to his apt? Maybe he managed to somehow make it to West Germany or somewhere else? Or maybe not... I hope they can somehow track him down if he's still alive, and that he can go back there and get his long lost things. And if he is still alive, I wonder what he has done with his life. What is his job? Is he married? Does he have children? Do his friends and family know the truth about his past? And I wonder what he was doing that had the authorities after him in the first place? It's such a mystery!!
Two things struck me the most from what they found in the apt: a bag with some shriveled up bread rolls (I wonder if he was planning on eating those bread rolls with dinner but that he literally had to make a run for it and couldn't bring them along) and the calendar on the wall set to August 1988. If I were the architect who found this apt, I'd immediately try to think back to who I was and what I was doing in August 1988. That calendar seems like tangible proof that the inhabitant of that apt's world irrevocably changed in August 1988. I think we all have days or months we can point to in which our own lives changed, but for most of us those days and months now only live in our memories. Imagine if we all had a long lost apt somewhere, complete with a calendar on the wall to say, "Yes, that's what my world was like before everything changed, that's exactly how it was."

No comments:

Post a Comment