Thursday, November 15, 2012

The best part about fridges? The magnets!




 While I think new modern kitchens are great, I find fridges without magnets so sad. The stainless steel fridges I've seen close up are always big and very nice and exude this clean, sleek look. But I really can't imagine ever having a kitchen with one. (Although check out this website -  it gives tips on how to get around the whole stainless steel no magnets thing.) I am just too attached to my magnets. I don't understand what the company who made the first stainless steel non-magnetic fridges was thinking. Wasn't there anybody there who stood up for magnets? Fridges without them are just too bare.

I'm not sure when my obsession with magnets started but it really is a full-blown obsession (although to be fair it has perhaps cooled a bit over the past year). I have so many magnets! They make kitchens seem cheerful and are also very fun to look at.  I like to buy them when I go on trips and so I have a cool collection from all over the world. I have also searched sites like Etsy and other random sites for magnets and have ordered them off the internet on multiple occasions. In addition to magnets with place names or pictures of the places I've visited and really liked, I also like magnets that mean something. For example, I have this cheesy magnet of a piece sign made out of flowers which I really like. S. gave me one while we were at Berkeley which is a picture of a woman and says "Talk to me..." I love that one! I have another one that says "Hearst College" which is the fictional university Veronica Mars attended. Unsurprisingly, I ordered that one online. From the same site, I ordered a black magnet that says "Louisiana is for Vampires" a shout out to Charlaine Harris and the wonderful vampires of Bon Temps, Louisiana. I also ordered magnets with pictures of Disney Princesses from someone on Etsy; and one of my favourite magnets is of Michelle Obama which I bought at the DC airport.

I have very mixed feelings about my current apt. The bathroom and kitchen are sooo small - like so small that I whenever I open the fridge I hit the pots that are hanging on a pot rack. I have gotten very very used to the sound of clanging pots and pans. My fridge is not too small but it's definitely smaller than all the fridges I've had in any other apt I've ever lived in (except Paris... which makes sense because I do think my apt is quite European. From the moment I found it it reminded me of apts I saw in Paris, except sadly not as nice :( ). All my magnets and pictures and all the things I had on the fridge in my old apt didn't even fit on this one, and what's worse is that because of how cramped the kitchen is D. (and sometimes me but to a much lesser extent) knocks magnets off the fridge and on to the floor. My poor magnets do not like it.

They, like I, dream about a gorgeous kitchen with huge windows letting in lots of light, a double sink with a window behind it so I can always look outside while doing the dishes, an island in the middle which I could use alternatively as extra counter space while cooking or as an extra table while eating, a double stove so I could be baking two different things at the same time, a breakfast nook right by the window with a table and comfortable chairs, and a big glorious fridge covered with magnets. One day...

1 comment:

  1. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts into the stuff you post!!

    ReplyDelete