Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th


So today is Friday the 13th! It seems like there have been a lot of them recently... I can count 3 previous ones in the past two years (April and July 2007 and June 2008). And there will be another one next month. I think it's better when they are more spaced out, like leap years. It'd be cool if there were only a Friday the 13th every 4 years or so...It would make it more special.

Though I am a somewhat superstitious person, I actually love Friday the 13th. I think it's because I like Fridays, and I love the number 13 because being 13, or at least the first seven months of being 13, were so much fun. So the two together is even better. Also, I believe the number 13 has an unfair rap. It has always struck me as somewhat silly when hotels or apts don't have a 13th floor. Because really they do, even if it's called the 14th floor. And so, Friday the 13th can be a day when the number 13 defends itself. And though I suppose some people worry that the day could bring black cats in one's path or a street with ladder after ladder that one has to walk under, I find them generally auspicious days. I think it's so much better to look at them as something positive too-- instead of worrying that it's another Friday the 13th, it's great to consider it a day that has the potential for wishes to come true, and other generally pleasant things to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment